Recently an injured friend of mine discovered SOLE (so-lay). SOLE, a saturated salt solution made from Himalayan salt crystals, is natural salt complete with all of the 84 minerals found in the human body. In contrast, regular salt is washed clean of all other minerals leaving ONLY sodium chloride and possibly some iodine and anti caking agents added back to it.
“Jack” had torn his hamstring during a baseball game. As he was describing the event, how he felt leading up to it, how it happened, and that it had happened before (and he expected it to happen again), it became clear that he was describing chronic dehydration. He drinks plenty of water and plenty of sports drinks, and yet, he was dehydrated. This is more common than you might think drink detach. If fluids consumed are not absorbed by the body hydration is not achieved. There are many reasons for this, including improper electrolyte balance.
Within a few weeks Jack was back out on the ball field and almost totally healed. He said his whole body felt different and better. His daughter, also an athlete, shared the new electrolyte supplement with her dad. Since the first day she began to use the SOLE, (instead of drinking commercial sports drinks) she has not had to use her inhaler once!! Yes, that’s right, asthma is directly affected by hydration! I can’t emphasize the importance of hydration for health enough. It is fundamental for all cellular functions; joint health, brain function, digestion and elimination, immune function, hormone regulation, and the list goes on and on.
SOLE is effective, inexpensive, and easy to make. It is not, it’s self, a sports drink per se, although it will be fabulous in helping to regulate hydration. Sports drinks are a mixture of electrolytes (salts and minerals), carbohydrates (which help with exercise recovery), and water. Many online recipes for home-made sports drinks are ANYTHING BUT healthy!!! They have ingredients like table salt, white sugar, honey, fruit juice, and even kool-aid mix. I will skip ranting about how bad for you this kind of nutritionally empty beverage can be…This recipe is guaranteed to be delicious and good for you too.
Preparation of Sole: (I keep a jar of it in my kitchen at all times)
1. Place several Himalayan Crystal Salt stones in a glass container and add high quality spring water until full.
2. After approximately 24 hours, look to see if the salt crystals have completely dissolved. If so, add a few more crystals. When the water can no longer dissolve any more salt, the salt crystals will sit at the bottom of the jar without dissolving. At this point the solution becomes saturated at 26%, which is stable and ready for consumption.
3. Take 1 teaspoon of the solution in a glass of water every morning. This is sufficient for the average daily intake. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
• Use only the solution from the top 1/3 of the jar leaving the sediment at the bottom.
• The glass container can be refilled again and again with water and salt, to continue the process.
Home-Made Sports Drink Recipe:
• 16oz filtered or spring water
• Juice of 1-2 lemons
• 2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon sole
• For an added kick you can put in a dash of cayenne pepper -which is a vasodilator and will help to keep you cool in hot weather.
Mix ingredients together and keep cool until consumed.
More about the recipe:
All of the ingredients and amounts for this recipe for specific reasons.
-Lemons- are a great source of minerals, especially magnesium and potassium, and very rich as vitamin-C as well. They are full of phyto-nutrients and enzymes and without the high levels of fructose found in other juices. They are also delicious, refreshing, and easy to find.
-Grade B maple syrup- is full of minerals as well. It is an excellent source of manganese and zinc, and also has potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and more. It is important to use Grade B since the lighter syrups are also lighter in mineral content. An additional benefit of maple syrup as a sweetener is that it is sucrose, not fructose, which has been linked to metabolic syndrome and decreased glucose tolerance. For the purposes of re-hydration and recovery, a 6% solution is best; too much sugar is dehydrating, too little will not be particularly beneficial in recovery.
-SOLE- is a solution of Himalayan salt, containing all of the 84 minerals found in the human body, and is mined from deep in the earth. Because of this it is free of toxins and impurities.